Capture Resistant Environment
From Ubicomp Lab - University of Washington
Blocking the Recording of Cameras
The Capture Resistant Environment uses cameras and projectors to prevent unauthorized photography and video recording. The camera can detect the lens of a digital camera and the projected light can neutralize the camera, making any images or video recordings blurred and thus useless.
- Truong, K.N., Patel, S.N., Summet, J.W., and Abowd, G.D. Preventing Camera Recording by Designing a Capture-Resistant Environment. Proceedings of Ubicomp 2005. [pdf]
- Patel, S.N., Summet, J.W., Truong, K.N. BlindSpot: Creating Capture-Resistant Spaces. Protecting Privacy in Video Surveillance. Ed. Andrew Senior.
- US Patent Pending (062012 1090/3588PR) 2005.
- NY Times, Top Ideas of the Year. Berzon, A. The Anti-Paparazzi Flash. N.Y. Times Magazine, The 5th Annual Year in Ideas Issue. December 11, 2005, p. 60.
- White light blinds film pirates. BBC News, June 20, 2006. Eng, P.
- Tech Students Devise a Way to Block Prying Eyes. ABC News. September 20, 2005. Kanellos, M.
- Crave Privacy? New Tech Knocks Out Digital Cameras. CNET News. September 19, 2005. Biever, C.
- Illicit Snappers Caught Infrared Handed. New Scientist, Issue 2515. September 3, 2005, p. 24.
- Security aid blinds phone cameras. A.L. Narayan. Laser, optics and phontonics resources and new. Oct 3, 2005.
- DominInc. Science News, July, 170(1), p.14.
- Tech professor designing camera cloak. Justin Rubner. Atlanta Business Chronicle. June 15, 2007.